Math Out Loud

The world’s first and only podcasted math dictionary created by 6th grade students

Composite Numbers

composite number

Today on math out loud we’ll focus on the word story of composite numbers, c-o-m-p-o-s-i-t-e n-u-m-b-e-r-s. The definition of composite number is a number that has more than two factors. We first started to use the word composite numbers in 1772. An example of a composite number is 8. It’s a composite number because it has four factors, 1, 2, 4, and 8. A non-example is prime numbers like 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17 and 19. These numbers only have 2 factors, the number itself and 1. If you don’t know what factors are, check our our other word story! We’re the math masters with the word story of composite numbers on Math Out Loud!!!!

6 Responses to “Composite Numbers”

1.   Kathy Gilmer Says:

I am impressed with how you are learning your math vocabulary, 6th graders! I just love how you are creating the dictionary with a podcast. Not only are you learning, but you are helping others learn, too. I am now inspired to try this with my own class………..2nd graders. Do you think they can do it?
    Keep up the great work. I will be back later to see what else you have posted.
    Mrs. Gilmer
    Greer Elementary School
    Brunswick, GA

2.   Brianna S. Says:

This is so cool!! It’s my first time listening to myself and hearing myself online!!
    Good job 6th grade!! Lets podcast another one soon!! :)
    Brianna S.
    6th grade student of Mrs.McLeods Class

3.   Frank Kirn Says:

I have heard of this great work from Christina Bailey who’s daughter Rebekkah is involved with.
    Good job to all the 6th graders, their parants and teachers involved in showing the children of the world that any thing is possible!
    Keep in up and lots of luck in reaching out to the world as we are closer than you think!
    Frank Kirn
    Ecotech Pty Ltd
    Australia

4.   Tonya G. Says:

Great job! I’m really impressed by what you are doing. I’ll check back again and share this with my teachers.
    Tonya Gregory
    Computer Specialist
    Cherry Chase School
    Sunnyvale, CA

5.   Christina Bailey Says:

Great Job to you all! I have spread the word around as much as possiable my international contacts at work and some of them are spreading them around too! It was fun getting to talk to my professional contacts about school work and my lovely daughter Rebekkah. Lot’s of Love to you….huggs and kisses!! :)

6.   keith bailey Says:

a job well done to each of you keep up the good work i wish you all the best of sucess in your education go and be all you can be !! i am proud of my daughter rebekkah lots of love!!