Math Out Loud

The world’s first and only podcasted math dictionary created by 6th grade students

Distributive Property

distributive property

Today on Math Out Loud we’ll focus on the words distributive property, d-i-s-t-r-i-b-u-t-i-v-e p-r-o-p-e-r-t-y. You can use the distributive property when you want to break down a problem to make it easier. It is useful when there is a 2-digit or larger number that you are trying to multiply. To use the distributive property, you break up the 2-digit or larger number and then multiply. For example, if you have the problem 32 x 4, break up the 32 into 30 + 2. Then we multiply 30 x 4 and 2 x 4. Then you add the products. So you add 120 plus 8 to get 128. A non-example would be 9 x 8 because breaking it up doesn’t really make the math easier to do in our head. We’re the Math Masters with the word story of distributive property on Math Out Loud.

3 Responses to “Distributive Property”

1.   Shondra Tharp Says:

Students, . I teach at the radio station in Mesquite…KEOM 88.5 FM. Your podcasts are sounding great! I love the way you are able to give the history and background of your math vocabulary words. This will be a great tool for other students to use as well. Keep up the good work. I’ll be listening in frequently and so will my students!

2.   AMANDA B Says:

AWESOME I LOVE THIS I WILL VISIT EVERY WEEK I’M AM JUST SOOOOO PROUD IT SO GREAT TO HAVE THIS WEBSITE ITS AWESOME!

3.   AMANDA B Says:

i will spread the word around! I AM SOOOOO PROUD